Subject: Re: arch conflict on update
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/21/2005 22:53:52
On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 09:25:34PM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> Is there a reason why you don't use the safe road by building into a
> destination directory and using "./build.sh ... install=/" afterwards?

Because installworld is too clever and checks again.
I tried to convince Luke to fix this a year or so ago, but he insisted
it would only cause support trouble from people that accidently overwrite
their binaries with incompatible ones for another arch.

FWIW: pkgsrc has a tool (libkver? I forgot the name) that allows faking
arbitrary uname output.

Martin