Subject: Re: What recent Sun Hardware runs NetBSD+X?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/21/2005 18:01:22
Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> What recent Sun hardware runs NetBSD+X good enough to act as
> demonstration hardware for NetBSD (and pkgsrc, etc.)? Preferably without
> lots of fiddling with custom software (kernel, X, ...) first... :)
>
> What Opterion machines do run NetBSD at all? What about X?
> Are there any recent sparc64 machines that run NetBSD+X out of the box?
>
> Preferred NetBSD would be 2.0 or anything else that can be downloaded
> easily.
>

>  - Hubert

What about running X server on i386 and the clients on sparc? Get a slim
PC and hide under the table, so what everyone sees is the sparc machine :-)
You may need to experiment with 64-bit vs 32-bit, as some software is
not 64-bit clean. I've been struggling to get 64-bit www/firefox up and
running, so I'm installing 32-bit kernel and 32-bit userland, hopefully
firefox will behave better.

Let us know if you need help building sparc/sparc64 binaries, etc.