Subject: Re: Re: XFree86 - testers wanted
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/18/2005 16:01:16
Dans l'épisode précédent (Fri, Mar 18 2005 - 09:47), Michael nous apprenait que :
> Hello,
>
> > > That's weird. I had some kernel panics which were related to a bug in the threadlib, but nothing else. Do you use IDE disks? I seem
> > > to remember there were problems with the U10s onboard IDE controller, I use it only for the CDROM, everything else is UW-SCSI.
> >
> >  the system is 100% IDE.
> >  but pkgsrc is an NFS mounted FS.
> Hmm, I usually compile my kernels via NFS, mainly to have a common source tree for all my boxes.

 I have /usr/{src,pkgsrc,xsrc} NFS shared to have a common source tree too.

> >  and the freezes apply during compilation - I mean not during
> >  installation only - but indeed swap access is done on IDE :)
> How much memory do you have?

 512MB

> Do the lockups happen during heavy paging activity?
> I have 256MB, so most things compile without any swapping, even with XFCE4 and a bunch of other apps running.

 I think I have enough memory :)
 I've restart compilation for openbox and run "systat 2 vmstat" on
 another console... I'll see what it says.

> >  I don't have any scsi material to put in :(
> If you happen to find a SymBIOS 53c8xx controller along the way - take it. All(?) PCI Suns have support for them in their firmware, mine is a PCish card made by ASUS.

 In fact, I thing I have a scsi-2 card (SUN certified) at home but I
 have no disk for it :(

--
,-- This mail runs ---------.
`------------ NetBSD/i386 --'