Subject: Re: Adaptec 2940UW flashed for Mac on an Ultra5
To: 'port-sparc64@netbsd.org' <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: George Adkins <george@webbastard.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/11/2005 11:39:27
>> I have a way to get this working, but it involves a soldering iron,
>> and
>> I need an image of the 2940UW/OF ROM code.
>>

>   this matches my info-digging around an 2940UW I found in the
> dumpster:
> it came off a PC-only-oriented industry and sports a flash chip of some
> size.
>
>   my intention was to flash it for apple machines, but I found out that
> mac variants of 2940's need a flash of double size
>   (sorry forgot exact figures and links... shame on me)

yes, the Mac Image has been padded by Adaptec so that it will not fit
in the (64K IIRC) EEPROM on the PC version of their card.

>   by "involves a soldering iron" did you mean "remove the small, put in
> the big" flash-rom chip?
>   this would match my intention I never came to implement

in my case, it involves de-soldering... well, actually cutting all the
legs off at the chip with a hobby knife, then desoldering the legs  :)
and then after cleaning the board up and re-tinning the pads, soldering
down a surface-mount PLCC socket where the flash chip was.
then I just snap in an pre-flashed Amtel 128K flash chip with the Mac
Firmware, or if I can get it, the Sun/OF firmware image.

>   I'd expect the flash utility would prevent from havocking a 'small
> flash'
> adapter board with the larger firmware, but one never knows...

that is correct, the firmware flash utility will only flash firmware of
the correct size, and apparently, only of the correct firmware for the
platform it's in.  I have a suspicion that the PeeCee flasher might
flash the OF firmware if the flash chip is large enough, but without an
image of it, I cannot test my theory.  if all else fails, it can be
loaded with an EPROM burner.

>   sun/ultrasparc specific ROM image? dunno.

yes, the Sun OF firmware image.  I have the Mac firmware images.

--
George