Subject: Adaptec 2940UW flashed for Mac on an Ultra5
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Jarto Nieminen <gdk@mail.suomi.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/10/2005 10:25:21

--Boundary_(ID_khEq9yxwuLuG42eLZcea+g)

Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:46:04 +0200
From: Jarto Nieminen <gdk@mail.suomi.net>
To: port-sparc64@netbsd.org

I've been reading the archives and about a year ago (January 2004) there
seems to have been much commotion over using an Adaptec 2940UW for the
PC which was flashed with Mac firmware on an Ultra5. I've now done this
but to no avail, the OBP of my Ultra5 doesn't detect the card as a SCSI
controller regardless.
    OBF seems to need support for the card in both the card itself to
talk to the firmware of the host machine and also drivers in the OBF to
talk back to the controller? Atleast this is what I've concluded from
numerous mailing lists. Sounds abit stupid, I know.

I'm interested in firmware versions of those running either AHA2940UW/OF
or, if someone has really flashed their AHA2940UW and got it working.
I'm also, if there really are people who have flashed their AHA2940UWs,
interested on what Mac did they flash their cards. The Mac firmware
upgrade program recommends flashing on the same computer the card is
intended to be used in, I flashed with my friends UMAX Pulsar wich is a
Mac clone but seems to also have OBF. (albeit being old and not
supported officially by erig. MacOS 9.x or MacOS X)

Thus a) the flash trick is but a legend. b) the flash version which I
used (4.1, from 1999) is the wrong one. c) The OBP version my Ultra5 has
(3.25) is too new to have the drivers for an Adaptec SCSI card anymore.
d) The version 3.25 doesn't anymore conform to IEEE 1275 or the Mac OBF
doesn't support it anymore thus there's no support for interchangeability.

--Boundary_(ID_khEq9yxwuLuG42eLZcea+g)--