Subject: Re: NetBSD Sparc64 SMP
To: James Cornell <unixpenguin2004@earthlink.net>
From: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@NetBSD.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/23/2005 16:48:36
On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 07:30:54AM -0800, James Cornell wrote:
> According to various sources, FreeBSD has SMP in their kernel.  I will probably
> use FreeBSD as I have in the past with my UltraSparc so I can harness my SMP for
> now.  NetBSD should take a look at FreeBSD's SMP implementation to reduce the time
> required to build a NetBSD specific Sparc64 SMP kernel.  I understand why this cannot
> be done yet.  There are more important priorities that still need to be addressed.
> As long as the Sparc64 port gets worked on in one form or another, even if not on
> SMP, I support the port developers and community individual's thoughts and wishes.

There's really no point in looking at the FreeBSD code.  FreeBSD has a completely
different design for the low level kernel code.  As far as what's needed to
do the SMP stuff for NetBSD, that's pretty well known.  I just never had a SMP
machine to play with.  And now I doubt I have the time.  I haven't even gotten
around to working on the UIIIi machine in my office.

Eduardo