Subject: Re: NetBSD Sparc64 SMP
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: James Cornell <unixpenguin2004@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/22/2005 14:16:58
You're quite right Rick.  Great ideas there, might be more important then the SMP.
Stability is probably more of a problem for the most of us, although since most
Sun machines are heat boxes, I'd really like to have both processors working.  (Electricity
Bill!? ; The heat won't go down, you're essentially paying for a half-ass powerhouse)

Using your Ultra 60 as a desktop is a great idea.  Sun hardware is always more stable
then any Intel, and the performance from even one processor still competes with
the best x86's.  =)

As for your E450 with 4 Cpus, only one can be used in the current Sparc64 NetBSD
kernel because it lacks working SMP (Broken code ; non-bootable) ; quite a waste,
especially considering that that machine costs an arm and a limb in electricity
costs per month.  It'd be great to see even just 2 of those 4 processors working,
don't you think?

James