Subject: Re: bootable cdrom
To: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
From: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/12/2005 10:08:02
Sean Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 11:28:19PM +0000, sigsegv@rambler.ru wrote:
>
> [snip how to install netbsd/sparc32 on netbsd/sparc64]
>
> Okay, one question: I have an Ultra 5 running 2.99.9/sparc64 right now, what
> advantages (other than sparc32 binary compatibility without a special kernel
> option) would using NetBSD/sparc32 (calling it sparc32 for the sake of
> clarity) on that machine give me?
>
> I've heard arguments that it's faster... but the machine is only 333mhz
> anyway, I'm not expecting it to compile KDE :-)
>
> - Sean

Basically, I've discovered two problems:

1) Some packages are not 64-bit clean, so they need to be compiled and
run as 32-bit executables

2) I've tried compat_netbsd32 on sparc64, but parts of it seem to be
broken, see the following PR:
http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=28930
What this means is you can't run 32-bit gcc to build 32-bit packages
from pkgsrc on sparc64, and native 64-bit gcc does not support -m32
option :-/