Subject: Re: bootable cdrom
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/11/2005 20:20:24
sigsegv@rambler.ru wrote:
> Martin Husemann wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure I understood your question. To make a bootable single-arch
>> CD, just go to src/etc and do "make iso-image". If you cross-compiled,
>> be sure to use ${TOOLDIR}/bin/nbmake-${ARCH} instead of make.
>>
>> If you want to create a CD bootable on multiple archs, you may want to
>> look
>> at src/distrib/cdrom.
>>
>> Martin
>>

> I've tried that, but it fails with something like 'loaded file is not
> executable'
> What I'm trying to do is install 32-bit sparc port (that I've just built
> myself) on a 64-bit sun4u machine from a cdrom. Is this supported, or
> I'm trying to do something totally insane?

Maybe I'm going the wrong way about it, on sparc64 web page is says:

"NetBSD/sparc64 supports both 32-bit and 64-bit kernels. A 32-bit kernel
runs all NetBSD/sparc binaries"

So I guess the question would be: what's the best and correct way to
build 32-bit kernel for sparc64 architecture and what's the best way to
integrate it with 32-bit userland? Anyone tried this before?