Subject: Re: NetBSD2.0/sparc not ready for prime time?
To: Seth Kurtzberg <seth@cql.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/07/2005 20:20:40
Seth Kurtzberg said:

>Don't forget the version where they had minor version numbers, and it
>was unusable in 2.x or 2.x.1.  I believe that was 2.6, so 2.6 was
>useless, as was 2.6.1, and everyone had to wait for 2.6.2.  Useless
>might be an overstatement, since not everyone has the same criteria for
>usefulness, but it had major stability problems until the second
>correction release.

Well, 2.5 was the first version for Ultra 1 boxes and 2.5.1 was a patch
version for SMP machines. I found that 2.6 was very stable, and installed
it on hundreds of machines. I still have an IPX here running 2.6 that acts
as an NFS server for various NetBSD sparc boxes. It holds /usr/src for
several versions of NetBSD. It has had uptimes of >600 days. Since ipfilter
installs out of the box, it is fairly secure.

Versions previous to 2.5 were gnarly.

--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com
		http://www.rmkhome.com/