Subject: Re: compat_solaris
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/06/2005 23:26:24
On Feb 6,  9:54pm, macallan18@earthlink.net (Michael) wrote:

| Ok, the Opera 7.54 binary has ~17000 sections. For some reason it dumps
| core when showing the main GUI, the 8.0 Beta sort of works, but all the
| graphics are badly distorted.

What is the last syscall before it dumps?

| So this begs a few questions about Solaris compatibility:
| Does networking actually work? Solaris' ftp crashes on startup and
| Opera doesn't even attempt to connect to anything.

ftp used to work last time I tried it. That was circa 2.7 with sparc
not sparc64.

| Communication with the Xserver seems flaky at least - some simple
| things like xterm works, but Opera... well, primitives like lines,
| rectangles and text are mostly ok, but everything that involves
| (rendering) graphics looks totally wrong. I'm not sure what could be
| the cause, it tried to load librender.so, maybe it got the NetBSD lib -
| I'm pretty sure Sun's Xserver doesn't have XRender.
| Then I tried to run it chroot'ed to /emul/svr4_32 but then it couldn't
| connect to the Xserver, not even when I set DISPLAY to 127.0.0.1:0.0 so
| I guess sockets don't work properly for some reason.
| Are these known problems or am I missing something?

You are in uncharted territory. I have not tried compat_svr4 with sparc64,
but I don't think that things being rendered wrong is a compat issue.
Most probably it is an xserver problem.

christos