Subject: Re: NetBSD2.0/sparc not ready for prime time?
To: Gert Doering <gert@greenie.muc.de>
From: Seth Kurtzberg <seth@cql.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/04/2005 10:15:30
IMHO, it's foolish to try to use a new release in a production
environment until it has been out about three months.  Even then, it
might not be ready.

This is in no way meant as a criticism; the folks working on the sparc64
port have put in many hours of work, to put it mildly.  It is just a
fact of life; some things won't be discovered before release.

Probably in this case it won't really take three months, but it's
unreasonable to expect production quality on all hardware at the time of
release.  I share your desire for a stable sparc system, but I consider
the current state normal and expected and I'm impressed by how quickly
each substantial problem is being fixed.

So, the best advise, for any o/s release, is, watch the list and wait,
or put it on a non-production machine and be one of the testers.  Don't
put it on a production machine yet.

As I said, that's just my opinion and others might have a completely
different idea.