Subject: Re: Alternative ways to Install
To: Stephen Young <youngsw@gmail.com>
From: Philip Jensen <phil_jensen@yahoo.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 01/13/2005 23:01:22
--------------030600080706050300060604

Sounds like you are having a lot of frustration, I suggest giving up on
cutting and booting an ISO in the meantime.  Netboot works for me on
fussy SPARCs check the doco here:-

    http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/

You may also have a problem with your Open Boot Prom, sometimes
upgrading to the latest release from Sun fixes weird seemingly unrelated
(when you read their patch release notes) problems.

cheers
Phil J

Stephen Young wrote:

--------------030600080706050300060604

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Sounds like you are having a lot of frustration, I suggest giving up on
cutting and booting an ISO in the meantime.&nbsp; Netboot works for me on
fussy SPARCs check the doco here:-<br>
You may also have a problem with your Open Boot Prom, sometimes
upgrading to the latest release from Sun fixes weird seemingly
unrelated (when you read their patch release notes) problems.<br>
cheers<br>
Phil J<br>
Stephen Young wrote:<br>
 cite="midD0424519-652C-11D9-B4E1-000D933430BC@gmail.com">-----BEGIN
PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Thank you for all of the help you gave me the other day, it got me in
the right direction.
I got cdrecord working with os x, it originally didn't like the device
name it gave me when I did dev=help (usually worked with other os's :D)
but I found a device it did like after researching that one more.
I also got openboot working correctly, fixed the aliases.&nbsp; Cdrom was
pointing to some weird device (which should have been a clue that
something was wrong there, I never heard the cdrom reading the cd when
I did boot cdrom).
I am made progress, but ran into a little snag :)
I first tried using a couple of isos I downloaded.&nbsp; First was the 2.0
release, then the 1.6 release, and the workstation never booted those.&nbsp;
It told me the file loaded doesn't appear to be executable.
So I grabbed the sunlabel source from the link the Mouse gave me.&nbsp; Got
it compiled and had to alter the sunbootcd.sh script for it to work
(didn't like the -nq switch, but found the correct switch to use in the
sunlabel source).&nbsp; Then I set up the cdsources directory like on the
bootcd howto, and ran the script as it was shown for sparc64 and
getting the same thing.
To me it sounds like I am going to need to invest in roxio for os x or
something, but cdrecord should work fine.
Any ideas of what is going wrong ?
Thanks again for the help !
- --
Stephen Young