Subject: re: Problem : can't determine root device
To: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@NetBSD.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 01/08/2005 13:20:13
   On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 03:27:18PM -0500, Julien Aube wrote:

   > I have this :
   > NetBSD 2.0 (GENERIC) #0: Thu Dec  2 02:49:29 UTC 2004
   >
   > builds@build:/big/builds/ab/netbsd-2-0-RELEASE/sparc64/200411300000Z-obj
   > /big/builds/ab/netbsd-2-0-RELEASE/src/sys/arch/sparc64/compile/GENERIC
   > total memory = 768 MB
   > avail memory = 740 MB
   > bootpath: /sbus@1f,0/QLGC,isp@1,10000/sd@4,0       <-------

   I think the problem is caused because isp is not in the bus_class_tab[]
   array.  The problem with adding isp is that it can either be on a PCI
   bus or an SBus (as yours is) so it's not obvious how to add it to the
   list.  In fact the entire method for parsing the bootpath and locating
   the associated driver should be reimplemented, but it's not an easy
   task.

hmmm.  isp is in the sparc bus_class_tab[] as:

        { "isp",        BUSCLASS_SBUS },

and i've known people have booted from them in the past..  there is the
compat matcher, here too, in dev_compat_tab[]:

        { "QLGC,isp",   "isp" },

so it should work i think...

.mrg.