Subject: netbsd-2.0-release instability
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 01/07/2005 00:02:19
Dear friends, it has been some time since I tried running netbsd on my
Ultra10. In the past it has been quite unstable, locking up and causing
kernel panics. Recently I've decided to give netbsd-2.0-release a try
and see if it behaved better. After installing and booting the system,
it was up and running for about 24hrs, and then it just locked up, no
messages or kernel panics, it simply didn't respond to anything. This
happened while I was building large packages in pkgsrc.

Looking at the recent mail archives, I noticed Martin Husemann pointed
out that 2.0 was unstable and 2.0.1 may be more stable. I was wondering
if anybody could fill me in on the difference between 2.0 and upcoming
2.0.1 in regard to sparc64 port, i.e. what major bugs have been found
and fixed, etc.

I've been running beta Solaris 10 all this time, and it is stable as a
rock, no matter how much load I could throw at it, it never faulted.
Despite its stability, I find Solaris awkward and bloated, ideally I
would like to replace it with the latest stable version of netbsd. How
do you think netbsd-2.0.1 will come out in this respect, will most of
the instability issues be fixed or there is quite a lot of work to do?

Thanks