Subject: Re: hardware recommendations (IR and Video Out)
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/14/2004 07:58:29
On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 07:46:49AM -0500, Michael wrote:

> Well, Sun's low-end PCI framebuffer (PGX32 or so) /is/ an ATi device (a Mach64 or an early Rage), so in theory there could be cards with TVout.

under supported hardware in the INSTALL doc:

  Video devices
    - All on-board frame buffers
      Unless otherwise specified, only text console is supported
    - On-board and SBUS card (GX, GX+, TGX, TGX+) (cgsix)
      8 bpp accelerated framebuffer.

that didn't give me much faith.  ;)

> Anyway, XFree should work witch some minor hacks in the ATi driver - just make sure the stuff trying to access legacy registers / framebuffer isn't used. If I remember correctly they're #ifndef __powerpc__ right now, so adding __sparc__ or Sun to all __powerpc__ ( as in #if !defined(__powerpc__) && !defined(__sparc__)  - or so - may do the trick ). I can't test it - no PCI Sun here.

so, to use the S-Video Out, i need to run XFree?  never having used S-Video out
before, i'm not sure exactly even how this is done.  ;)

-brian
--
"Now you know why I got the everliving hell OUT of Windows administration.
Knowing it doesn't make it any easier.  It's just broken-as-designed."