Subject: Re: RAID1 bootblocks for 2.0
To: Jonathan Perkin <jonathan@perkin.org.uk>
From: Brian McKerr <brian@mckerrs.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/12/2004 20:04:50
Jonathan Perkin wrote:

>* On 2004-12-12 at 00:57 GMT, Brian McKerr wrote:
>

>>Ended up using solaris and disksuite as I needed the thing up and
>>running in a hurry. Real pity as I wanted to use NetBSD and was
>>really impressed with the sparc64 support.
>>

>Yes, I'm pondering the same, I'm a huge huge fan of disksuite.

I like disksuite, 'specially now that it doesnt have the insane quorum
thingo.

>>I did heard someone mention that you need a seperate ffs partition
>>*not* on the raid device. But I'm not sure if that's valid given
>>that, as you mentioned Jonathon, that we were able to boot from the
>>raid device with only the bootblocks on the initial setup device.
>>

>I think I saw that too, but it seems bogus given others have said that
>the exact procedures described in the NetBSD guide work fine, and they
>mention nothing of having the separate partition (which would be a
>pain, and remove the entire point of mirroring the bootable partition).
>
>Thanks,

I was very happy with NetBSD 2.0 RC5 and was excited to read that it
could boot from RAID. I had put quite a bit of effort and testing into
it and for it to fail at the last hurdle was a real disappointment. I
also considered OpenBSD and FreeBSD but both have the 'need another
partition with kernel on it' requirement and like you say that basically
defeats the purpose for me. I know you can manually sync those extra
partitions but that is not elegant and I want it to be pretty much
bullet-proof.

Cheers,

Brian.