Subject: Re: RAID1 bootblocks for 2.0
To: Jonathan Perkin <jonathan@perkin.org.uk>
From: Brian McKerr <brian@mckerrs.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/12/2004 10:53:23
Jonathan Perkin wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Setting up a new Netra X1 with a couple of 120G drives, I followed the
>http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-rf.html documentation for setting
>up a fully mirrored system.  Apart from the s/bootblck/bootblk/ typo,
>everything worked fine until I come to boot the system from disk.
>
>  ok boot disk0 netbsd
>
>  Boot device: /pci@1f,0/ide@d/disk@0,0  File and args: netbsd
>  NetBSD IEEE 1275 Bootblock
>  .Inode not directory
>
>  Error in Fcode execution !!!
>  Evaluating: boot disk0 netbsd
>  The file just loaded does not appear to be executable.
>
>  ok boot disk2:a netbsd
>
>  Boot device: /pci@1f,0/ide@d/disk@2,0:a  File and args: netbsd
>  NetBSD IEEE 1275 Bootblock
>  .Inode not directory
>
>  Error in Fcode execution !!!
>  The file just loaded does not appear to be executable.
>
>Previously while the RAID config was only on wd1 I could boot fine
>using the old bootblocks on wd0, but after running the installboot
>command on wd0 it happens on both disks.  Fortunately, I can still
>netboot netbsd-GENERIC.gz which mounts everything fine.
>
>Am I missing something obvious?  Previous posts suggest this should
>work perfectly with the 2.0-RELEASE boot blocks.  Unfortunately, while
>the netboot solution currently works, once the machine is in
>production it will lose access to the jumpstart server :-)
>
>Thanks,

I had exactly the same except mine was with SCSI disks and a netra T1 AC200.

Ended up using solaris and disksuite as I needed the thing up and
running in a hurry. Real pity as I wanted to use NetBSD and was really
impressed with the sparc64 support.

I'd be interested if anyone gets a solution.

I did heard someone mention that you need a seperate ffs partition *not*
on the raid device. But I'm not sure if that's valid given that, as you
mentioned Jonathon, that we were able to boot from the raid device with
only the bootblocks on the initial setup device.

Brian.