Subject: making firefox LP64 clean
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org, port-sparc64@netbsd.org,>
From: Dieter <netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/25/2004 12:46:37
The first question is:  is firefox the best hope for a usable
web browser for NetBSD LP64 platforms (alpha/sparc64/amd64/mips)?
(I'm currently using Netscape 4, and find more and more web sites
are not ns4 friendly.  Complaints fall on deaf ears.)

I've compiled firefox-1.0 on alpha, and there are no shortage
of compiler warnings.  Greping for warning in make.out yields
13990 lines.  (not counting those from gtk).

I'm well aware that not all warnings are LP64 related, not
all warnings mean actual bugs, and not all bugs have
compiler warnings.  However, fixing warnings is a good place
to start.

I've started fixing these, but I'm going to need help.
So far I have 1928 fewer lines of compiler warnings.
(plus I fixed the warnings from gtk)

I'm concentrating mostly on warnings that are LP64 related.
I've eliminated all the missing/incomplete prototype
warnings, and some of the pointer/int warnings.
(and a few misc)

I can email diffs offlist to people willing to code review them
and/or work on additional fixes.