Subject: Re: -current very unstable on Ultra10
To: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
From: Gert Doering <gert@greenie.muc.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/30/2004 12:25:36
Hi,

On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 11:54:37AM +0300, Arto Huusko wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Gert Doering wrote:
[..]
> But more than just these crashes, the system seemed very unstable
> otherwise, too: userland programs kept crashing, but more or
> less predictably to rule out faulty memory. For example sh
> crashes always in the same place during perl 5.8 config, but
> the core gives slightly different traces each time. (oh, and I know
> there was a patch to sh which introduced crashes, but I have the
> fixed version) Another interesting feature of perl-58 build is that
> it loops; once it has built, it starts to configure all over again, etc.
> This could just be a pkgsrc problem, though...

This is something I've never seen on my "working" U5/U10s.

On the faulty U10, I've not tried to build pkgsrc/perl58 yet.

[..]
> Hmm. That's an interesting idea. My other problems with -current
> on U5 included the fact that the built in hard drive (not likely
> Sun original; I have a 8G seagate medalist, IIRC) would not work.
> [ difference between NFS built and copied-to-disk binaries ]

Interesting problem indeed.  Right now, I'm building a world onto
a NFS objdir/destdir/releasedir, mainly to figure out whether the
crashes are disk-related or something else (defective memory, CPU,
or operating system in general).

[..]
> However, a different, newer hard drive (which I put to the same
> IDE channel, though) did not exhibit these problems. The kernel
> still stayed unstable, no matter which disk I had attached.

Have you rebuilt your kernel using the new disk?

What sort of console errors do you get, if any?

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de