Subject: Re: bus Error (core dump) when runing BitchX
To: john heasley <heas@shrubbery.net>
From: Sten Spans <sten@blinkenlights.nl>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/28/2004 02:25:36
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, john heasley wrote:

> Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 06:45:41PM -0400, Luc Martineau:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> in order to get the Core dump this is what happens...
>> cd /usr/pkg/bin/
>> ./BitchX-1.0c19
>>
>> it opens BitchX and connects to irc.prison.net (I
>> tried multiple servers)
>> it logs onto the server, works GREAT,
>> I can do /whois mynick and it coms up fine
>> I can do lists ETC it all works
>>
>> when I join a channel is where I get the problem...
>> *** luma_
>> [~luma@CPE00503ee3ffe1-CM0011aea1c0c2.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com]
>> has
>>           joined #luma
>>

> this package is a LP64 disaster.
> This replacement for patch-al hacks that particular problem (though i
> do not believe it is complete).  Last I checked, bitchx was no longer
> maintained; better off using something else and marking this not for
> sparc64 (or amd64?).

Quite true, bitchx makes al kind of faulty assumptions
about pointer sizes and such. It's not possible to make
it run well on anything but i386 without a major rewrite.

The solution is simple, select a different client
( irssi has a nice bitchx theme :).

--
Sten Spans

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."
Leonard Cohen - Anthem