Subject: newbie with pkgsrc
To: None <port-sparc64@NetBSD.org>
From: Mehul N. Sanghvi <msanghvi@quallaby.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/20/2004 14:58:08
'allo,

      I just recently installed NetBSD on an Ultra 2 system.  So far so
good.  I used to be a BSD person (in the days of SunOS 3/4) but my most
recent experience has been with Linux (Debian and its apt-get packaging
system).

      I have the /usr/pkgsrc tree.  I downloaded the tar file, and ran a
'cvs update -dP' on it.  I have Apache installed (via pkg_add) and would
now like to install PHP 4.  Unfortunately, I the pre-built packages are
all PHP 3.  So I am trying to build from the /usr/pkgsrc area.

      Doing 'make' in the /usr/pkgsrc/www/php4 directory seems to work
for a little bit, but the process dies out because make complains about
not being able to locate certain header files.  I looked for them, they
are in the www/php4 directory and if I just do /usr/pkg/bin/gmake in the
www/php4/work/php-4.3.9 directory, everything starts to compile.

      I ran into a similar problem when updating from the binary to the
source version of apache-2 and was getting 'file not found' errors for
files that are in the include directories that are being searched for.

      Am I doing something wrong ?  Is there something wrong with the
package Makefiles ?  Am I missing something ?

cheers,

    mehul