Subject: Re: sparc64 reliability
To: NetBSD Port Sparc64 <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/09/2004 11:03:02
Peter Eisch wrote:
> It's been a while since the thread came around and I didn't chime in then,
> but I have a few datapoints:

I agree, there are some stability issues with NetBSD on sparc64, I think
they won't show that frequently if you primarily run it as a
router/firewall. I had numerous system hangs when building large
packages like mozilla, etc. Unfortunately I don't have the expertise to
work on the kernel, not yet. There are probably a handful of NetBSD
developers working on sparc64 port, compared to a large number of
Solaris or Linux developers. I think it would be a tremendous help if
more kernel hackers contributed to NetBSD. I know I will as soon as I
learn kernel programming.