Subject: Re: NetBSD v2.0_RC1, successfully installed on 420R
To: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/03/2004 18:38:11
Hello,

> I've been running Solaris 9 on my Ultra10 and so far it's been very
> reliable. I believe you can use pkgsrc on Solaris, I am trying to set it
> up now and if it works I'll have easy access to most software I need,
> thanks to BSD developers.

pkgsrc works fine under Solaris 9, I'm using it on a Ultra1 and didn't have any problems worth speaking of. Just cvs checkout pkgsrc, bootstrap, add /usr/pkg to $PATH and that's it.
At least on my machine building is painfully slow, apparently because libtool and friends are huge shell scripts leading to 50% kernel load - they seem to eat more CPU time than the compiler.

have fun
Michael