Subject: Re: NetBSD v2.0_RC1, successfully installed on 420R
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/03/2004 21:05:31
Michael Gerhards wrote:
> sigsegv@rambler.ru wrote:
>
>>Sounds good, however I wouldn't use sparc64 port on production servers.
>>I tried to get the recent NetBSD-2.x going on my Ultra10, but whenever I
>>put excess load on it (i.e. forking loads of processes, building large
>>software packages, starting remote xclients, etc) the kernel panics.
>

> That sounds really bad. Actually, I wanted to use my Sun Ultra10 as a
> "production server" (at home only, but as a server) running NetBSD 2.0.
>
> Would NetBSD 1.6.2 in your opinion be the better choice? I missed the
> powerd-functionality in 1.6.2 (especially the possibility to shut down
> the system by just pressing one key), that was the reason for me to
> upgrade to 2.0-RC1 at the moment.
>
> Is there any possibility to shut down a 1.6.2 by just pressing one key?
>
> Michael

I don't think that press-one-key-halts-system is an issue. I think
NetBSD-2.x has a lot of enhancements compared to 1.6.2. Personally I
never tried running NetBSD 1.6.2 on sparc64, because I like native
threads support in NetBSD-2.x etc. You could try NetBSD 1.6.2 and see if
it's stable enough.

I've been running Solaris 9 on my Ultra10 and so far it's been very
reliable. I believe you can use pkgsrc on Solaris, I am trying to set it
up now and if it works I'll have easy access to most software I need,
thanks to BSD developers.

Wasabi Systems seem to be quite involved in the development of NetBSD
http://www.wasabisystems.com/products/certified_netbsd/hardware.htm
They seem to offer support for 64-bit UltraSparc architecture, I'm
curious as to how different their source tree is compared the public
NetBSD source tree. If somebody wanted to run mission critical NetBSD
servers on UltraSparc, could Wasabi Systems provide enhanced and
reliable NetBSD kernel?