Subject: Re: NetBSD v2.0_RC1, successfully installed on 420R
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/02/2004 00:04:46
Philip Jensen wrote:
> Thought members of this mailing list would like to hear a success story
> installing NetBSD onto a Sun 420R.
>
> I got the ISO image of the SPARC64 port for NetBSD 2.0_RC1 from
> Karsten's unofficial site.

> My next task is to compile a Multi-Processor kernel (there wasn't one
> available on the ISO I downloaded, there doesn't seem to be one at the
> releng.netbsd.org site either), and see if it spins up all the CPU's.
>
> It's so nice to install an OS and not have to reompile a kernel just to
> get things like SCSI and network cards working.  We use Debian GNU/Linux
> on most of production gear (including SPARCs), with the odd NetBSD
> machine courtesy of yours truly.  Fortunately NetBSD is installed on our
> core infrastructure routers.

Sounds good, however I wouldn't use sparc64 port on production servers.
I tried to get the recent NetBSD-2.x going on my Ultra10, but whenever I
put excess load on it (i.e. forking loads of processes, building large
software packages, starting remote xclients, etc) the kernel panics.
NetBSD-2.x is a great OS, but it seems there needs to be some work done
to make it rock solid. So as you can guess my Ultra10 is running
Solaris, which lacks a lot of things I used to have in NetBSD, but
Solaris on UltraSparc is very stable.