Subject: NetBSD v2.0_RC1, successfully installed on 420R
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Philip Jensen <phil_jensen@yahoo.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/02/2004 10:32:40
Thought members of this mailing list would like to hear a success story
installing NetBSD onto a Sun 420R.

I got the ISO image of the SPARC64 port for NetBSD 2.0_RC1 from
Karsten's unofficial site.

My first attempt to install went through with no problems, finding all
the disks, including the external array (it has a D1000 array connected)
no probs.

Unfortunately when I went to reboot into the installed OS, the secondary
boot loader barfed.  Saying ".... Fast Data MMU Miss".  This is not an
uncommon problem, and a number of boot problems on SPARC64 seem to be
resolved by updating the OpenBoot PROM.  So a quick check of the version
told me it was version 3.23 (or something similar), it was certainly
backlevel.

After going through the rigmirole of updating the OBP (now it's version
3.31), which required changing a motherboard jumper and the
reinstallation of Solaris (In hindsight I suspect putting the flash on
to a NetBSD FFSv1 filesystem would have been fine too.) I reinstalled
NetBSD v2.0_RC1, and this time the first boot of the OS off the internal
disks went without a hitch.  I was on the network, and could see all the
disks (2 internal, and 12 in the external array) in a matter of about 15
minutes from the {ok} boot cdrom command.  In fact the slowest part on a
workgroup server is waiting for the memory initialisation during a
system reset.

My next task is to compile a Multi-Processor kernel (there wasn't one
available on the ISO I downloaded, there doesn't seem to be one at the
releng.netbsd.org site either), and see if it spins up all the CPU's.

It's so nice to install an OS and not have to reompile a kernel just to
get things like SCSI and network cards working.  We use Debian GNU/Linux
on most of production gear (including SPARCs), with the odd NetBSD
machine courtesy of yours truly.  Fortunately NetBSD is installed on our
core infrastructure routers.

Thanks for listening.

cheers
Phil J