Subject: Re: Netbsd on Sun Ultra 5
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Juha Sievi-Korte <juha.sievi-korte@sci.fi>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 08/07/2004 20:38:04
Timo Schoeler wrote:

>> weren't recognized at every boot, so I started to suspect a HW
>> problem. And so it was, my 300W PSU wasn't enough for this. Replaced a
>> PSU with a quality one, and everything started to work smoothly :)
>
> huh -- that's strange! 300watts not enough for a single USIIi, 128MByte
> RAM and a litte IDE stuff...?

I think it was/is a crap PSU with not enough output to 3,3V. :) I hadn't
oscilloscope in hand to check if the voltage becomes unstable... At
least PII runs fine with the PSU anyway. Some document stated that the
stock power in these was only 200Watts? And another specs at Sun's
website stated input power to be 286 Watts for Ultra 5.

> i just wonder because my Ultra Enterprise 2 (this one runs Solaris,
> though, because of 'the MP issue' ;) has 1,5GByte RAM, two 400MHz USII,
> two SCA HDs, two gfx cards, an additional QFE (draws quite a lot of
> power i guess -- it gets *warm* ;)... and has it's standard 350watt PSU.

  Yeah, i thought the wattage should have been enough :)... There are
watts and Watts in the PSUs as it seems :)

>> installed (compiled) a bunch of software from pkgsrc. No single
>> problem. Was I lucky?
>
> AFAIK there's still the 'sleeps forever' issue, but i ran into it last
> lots of weeks ago, so i really don't mind that way.

Ok, so it wasn't totally "FUD" or something :)

> depends on your needs. if you want to go into production, i'd stick with
> 2.95. if you want to play with some new compiler settings and so on, try
> 3.3 (maybe you want to rebuild the whole system w/3.3?). perhaps you
> want to go testing 2.0BETA?

Ok, that's what i thought. At least in x86 the new gcc runs fine. This
is not going to be really a production server, just my personal firewall
/ toybox to test any kind of stuff... so as long pppoe and ipf works ;)
Maybe I'll try the 2.0Beta next.

--
Juha