Subject: Re: IDE drives in some Ultra machines
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/11/2004 12:04:35
hi,

i owned an Ultra 10/440 a while ago and used it as an NetBSD testbed
(i'd like to use U2/2400, but MP is not ready yet for sparc64...).

the experiences i made show that (at least my) U10 (and the more or less
technically identical U5) is *not* very picky on HDDs -- i ripped out
its (original) 6,4GByte Seagate (AFAIR 7,200rpm) drive and replaced it
with a 20Gig Maxtor and, later, a 60Gig Seagate. No problem at all :)

a few months ago there was a thread on the list on using SATA
controllers in U5/U10 systems, which might deliver a really nice boost
to performance ;)

(at least i kicked the U10 -- it was my last IDE machine; all others,
even my Macs, are pure SCSI -- whatever ;)

rgds,

timo