Subject: Re: sparc64 pkgsrc 'issues'
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: George Adkins <george@webbastard.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/25/2004 13:29:56
>> a. chunks of pkgsrc don't build on NetBSD/sparc64,
> Authors of software are morons, unexepirienced, or just make errors -
> and of course only test on i386 and Linux.
true enough, but it did work just fine...  in fact the older revs still
do.

>> b. why this has been broken since 1.6.1
> What has been broken? Most problems are easy to fix (all the pkgs I
> use do work ;-}) - just file a PR with patches.
I run into the problem trying to compile PHP4.  as to patches, if I was
smart enough to write patches to fix it, I wouldn't be crying like a
punk kid here.

>> c. when this is going to change
> With current pkgsrc and 2.0 the builds + works / broken ratio is far
> better than ever. Individual pkgs will probably be fixed once someone
> files a PR.
>> d. (although this is probably obvious) why there are no Binary
>> Packages available at NetBSD.org for Sparc64
>  It did not make much sense pre 2.0. I bet there are going to be
> binary pkgs once 2.0 is released.

Ahh, that's what I expected was the current situation.

so, 2.0 is supposed to be out at the end of May according to NetBSD's
website...

that's only 11 more months, right?  :)

--
George