Subject: Re: e450 issue
To: Peter Eisch <peter@boku.net>
From: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@NetBSD.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/02/2004 15:45:17
On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 11:21:24PM -0500, Peter Eisch wrote:
> On 6/1/04 9:17 PM, "Eduardo Horvath" <eeh@NetBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > You might also want to do a ctrace at this point.
> >

> Me don't know nuthin 'bout ctrace, but...

You type `ctrace' at the ok prompt.  It gives you a stacktrace.

> > Hm.  It appears to be failing trying to allocate the message buffer.
> >
> > If you look in prom_get_msgbuf() you will see code to explicitly
> > disable some operations on e250s.  I'd speculate that e450s, which
> > are very similar machines, have the same problem.
>
> I do have a compiler!  So I do this:
>
> zipper# diff ofw_machdep.c.orig ofw_machdep.c
> 515c515
> <                       if (strcmp(name, "SUNW,Ultra-250"))
> ---
> >                       if ((strcmp(name, "SUNW,Ultra-4")) && (strcmp(name,
> "SUNW,Ultra-250")))
> zipper#
>
> ...and I push it on towards morning and we get a long ways further after it
> logs (after compiling without DEBUG options):

I'm happy that worked.  At some point someone should spend some time trying
to determine exactly why test-method fails on those machines.  Hm...  I wonder
if the test_method() check is inverted...  What happens if you do:

527c527
< 		if (OF_test_method(memh, "SUNW,retain") != 0) {
---
> 		if (OF_test_method(memh, "SUNW,retain") == 0) {

Eduardo