Subject: Re: USB cards known to work ?
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@pobox.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/01/2004 14:07:50
In message <20040529205231.GA3039@drowsy.duskware.de>, you write:

-> On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 01:48:26AM +0200, Joel CARNAT wrote:
-> > anyone has a reference for any of the listed USB card working on
-> > NetBSD/sparc64 ?
->
-> I'd expect basically every PCI<->USB bridge to work with NetBSD. Someone
-> please correct me if this is too optimistic ;-)
-> The drivers are called ohci(4), ehci(4) and uhci(4). I think some features
-> of 2.0 controllers might not be supported yet.

Yep; I've got a generic VIA VT6202 (?) based USB1/USB2 card in my U5 and
it works well for reading CF cards, occasionally talking to my digital
camera and tuning my USB radio (this needed a fix to the radioctl tool,
or maybe even the /dev/radio interface to use sane types).  I haven't
hooked up any USB2 devices to it yet, though, and the USB video camera
I've only ever played with on x86 since there were no drivers and the
only tools I have are a little SDL program that drives/displays it in
a window (which makes it useless on the U5, which is headless).

dmesg snippet below.

--rafal

uhci0 at pci2 dev 3 function 0: VIA Technologies VT83C572 USB Controller (rev. 0x50)
uhci0: interrupting at ivec 18
usb0 at uhci0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0 at usb0
uhub0: VIA Technologies UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
uhci1 at pci2 dev 3 function 1: VIA Technologies VT83C572 USB Controller (rev. 0x50)
uhci1: interrupting at ivec 19
usb1 at uhci1: USB revision 1.0
uhub1 at usb1
uhub1: VIA Technologies UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
ehci0 at pci2 dev 3 function 2: VIA Technologies VT8237 EHCI USB Controller (rev. 0x51)
ehci0: interrupting at ivec 1a
ehci0: EHCI version 0.95
ehci0: companion controllers, 2 ports each: uhci0 uhci1
usb2 at ehci0: USB revision 2.0
uhub2 at usb2
uhub2: VIA Technologie EHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1
[...]
uhub0: port error, restarting port 1
uhub1: port error, restarting port 1
uhub1: port error, restarting port 2
ehci0: handing over full speed device on port 2 to uhci0
uhub2: port 2, device disappeared after reset
ugen0 at uhub0 port 2
ugen0: Xirlink USB IMAGING DEVICE, rev 1.01/3.0a, addr 2

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@pobox.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill