Subject: Re: running NetBSD/sparc binaries on NetBSD/sparc64
To: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
From: Vicky Staubly <vicky@steeds.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/17/2004 19:19:11
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Sean Davis wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 06:30:27PM -0500, Vicky Staubly wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Sean Davis wrote:
> > > What is the proper method for setting up a NetBSD/sparc64 machine so that
> > > one can run NetBSD/sparc binaries on it? I saw a post (I believe by mrg@)
> > > that said that all you need is COMPAT_NETBSD32 in the kernel and the
> > > necessary libraries under /emul/netbsd32... I untarred (preserving
> > > permissions/owners of course) base.tgz from NetBSD/sparc under
> > > /emul/netbsd32, but nothing 32-bit runs. I'm pretty sure I've missed
> > > something... anybody know what? :-)
[...]
> The first thing I do when I install a machine is get rid of GENERIC in favor
> of a custom kernel.
>
> Here's the currently running kernel config for that box:
>
> # starways.endersgame.net kernel configuration [NetBSD current sparc64]
> # $egnet: STARWAYS,v 1.18 2004/01/31 04:53:00 dive Exp $
[...]
> options		EXEC_ELF64

I noticed this, and then noticed that an EXEC_ELF32 option exists.
I'm not sure if you need that, or if it would do something bad (like
try to execute 32-bit ELF files without going through a compatability
layer). The comments next to it in some of the example config files
are inconsistent (some say "SunOS 5.x", some say "NetBSD/sparc 1.5").

--
Vicky Staubly        http://www.steeds.com/vicky/         vicky@steeds.com