Subject: Re: What's left to do to make UltraSPARC SMP work?
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/03/2004 19:50:15
On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 02:07:18PM -0800, Erik E. Fair wrote:
> Can you be more specific about code needs to be written in order
> to make SMP on UltraSPARC work?

 (1) CPU cross-calls
 (2) TLB invalidation
 (3) lazy FPU context switching
 (4) getting the non-boot CPUs to enter the scheduler and run stuff
 ... and probably more once we have initial versions of all the above.

dennis and I have versions of (1) and (2), but when I try to do (4)
the stack pointer on the second CPU gets trashed in a really weird way
and it crashes real fast.  I haven't time to work on this for about month now,
so we're somewhat stalled.

we have plenty of MP hardware to test with, at this point all we need is
some spare time and inspiration.

-Chuck