Subject: Ultra 5 nvram question
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/21/2004 14:49:22
Hello,

Just one more question regarding Ultra 5, if i may :) I put in Tekram
SCSI controller (with that Symbios chip that is recognised by the
firmware) and a SCSI HD. Disk works correctly when i boot from CD-ROM, i
just can't boot from HD due to what appears to be misconfiguration of
disk alias.

When i do show-disks at ok prompt the line about disk mentions ide -
there is no IDE disk in the box, only IDE CD. I came across a manual
that suggests using probe-scsi-all, selecting correct drive (i select
option a, my SCSI disk) and doing nvalias disk ^YN,0:f (where ^Y =
control+y, N = ID of disk).

However this doesn't seem to change anything, show-disks shows IDE again
on disk line. Am i misinterpreting something ? Can somebody give me
exact line that will set my HD (with SCSI ID N) as "disk" in nvram for
booting ?

Before anybody points me to useless docs on sun website, i read it
already (many commands of interest that are not sbus-specific don't even
work on my box and Ultra 5 specific ones sometimes produce different
output, much to my amazement). That Sun website is a huge pile of info,
useless info, but sorted neatly for your convenience :)

Blaz Antonic