Subject: Process exiting but still running
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: R. Braun <syn@sceen.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/18/2003 17:45:28
--GvXjxJ+pjyke8COw

Hi,

One of the users of my sparc64 shell server has tested some sparc64 assembly
code. He created a process which keeps running in RE+ state :

 9138 p2- RE+   6:03.52 (h)

Later, the process moved to the RNE state (nobody niced it) :

 9138 p2- RNE  13:03.16 (h)

here is the source code :

.global main
main:
 sub %sp,4,%sp
 mov 42,%o0    // exit(42)
 mov 1,%g1     // 1 = SYS_exit
 ta  9         // get the syscall

I guess the problem comes from the sub %sp,4,%sp line. Though it is a
programming error (in this case it was used to see how the machine would handle
such a programming error), is there no way to prevent this ? And is it related
to the architecture or can NetBSD handle it ?

Thanks for your answers.

--
R. Braun

--GvXjxJ+pjyke8COw