Subject: X behaving badly
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Jaap Boender <jaapb@kerguelen.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 11/27/2003 16:19:17
Hi all,

I've recently gotten an Ultra1, with Creator3D and all, and decided to run
NetBSD on it. So I did, compiled -current on it, got X to run from Andrey
Petrov's files, compiled KDE3 (which works fine, only it seems that artsd
makes the whole thing hang beyond repair after about half an hour, but I
don't need sound anyway). Only I noticed that things sometimes go wrong with
font rendering (not sure what that's about, words with umlauts and such in
them become quite a mess). So I decided to compile X anew; I downloaded the
source from CVS, applied Andrey's patches and added the wsfb driver, and
presto. A freshly compiled X.

Only now there is a very strange problem. The mouse pointer is only half as
high as it should be, and all the KDE icons are rendered strangely, too (they
are recognizable, but there are lots of pixels missing). But everything else
(text rendering, windows, buttons, ...) looks okay. I tried disabling the
hardware cursor, but that doesn't help. (I'm using the original XF86Config
file from ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/petrov/X/XF86Config)

Does anyone else have this problem? Or could someone give me a pointer as to
where the problem might be located?

Thanks,

  Jaap Boender