Subject: Java on Sparc64?
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Dorsey <dorsey@lila.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 09/10/2003 15:17:42
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there are any working JKDs or JREs for
NetBSD/Sparc64?

Blackdown looks like a contender as it's been ported to 64-bit Linux
platforms, but the pkgsrc version won't build on sparc64.

Last time I looked, gcj was pretty buggy and only partially implements
the full set of java libraries.

Kaffe is hardly worth mentioning and doesn't build on Sparc64 anyway...

That leaves only the green threads version of Sun's 1.2.2 JDK (under
Solaris emulation) which is pretty old and funky to use because of the
non-preemptive nature of the threading model.

I heard the FreeBSD folks have an arrangement with Sun to port the
JRE/JDK, but I'm not sure whether it will support the Sparc64 platform
or be compatible with NetBSD either...

If anyone has any additional info, I'd appreciate hearing it!

--
Bill Dorsey