Subject: Need help with disklabel on sparc64
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Ricardo <suga@netbsd.com.br>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 06/25/2003 10:53:51
	Hi,

	We've got a Sun Ultra 5 v8 and we're having some problems. The
onboard NIC has it's media interface broken so we've put a 3c905. The guy
who installed it said NetBSD's generic kernel seems not to support this,
so we needed to recompile the kernel for the card to be recognised.

	We're trying to install an IDE disk that was already running on a
NetBSD/i386, hovewer, we're getting "device not configured" errors.
	When we install Sun's disk on a i386, it won't be recognised. When
we install the i386's disk on the Sun, it's also not recognised. Both are
running 1.6.1.

This is from the i386 with the sun's disk installed as wd2 (sorry for the
long mail):

mount: cannot open `/dev/wd2a': Device not configured

disklabel wd2 says:

# /dev/rwd2d:
type: ESDI
disk: QUANTUM FIREBALL
label: fictitious
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 15
sectors/cylinder: 945
cylinders: 13328
total sectors: 12594960
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # microseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # microseconds
drivedata: 0

4 partitions:
#        size    offset     fstype  [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
 d:  12594960         0     unused      0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -
13327)
disklabel: boot block size 0
disklabel: super block size 0

---

	When we install the i386's disk on the sun, the problem repeats.
We can't just rewrite the disklabel because we need to transfer files from
one machine to another (ie, the sources). Unfortunatelly, for a good
reason, we cannot easily burn CDs right now. :-) Also, this machine is at
a university so we cannot borrow their hardware (ie, a per-default
supported nic).

	Tips/hints? Are there any incompatibilities between i386 and
sparc64 disklabels, or we need to take a step we're forgetting?

	Your help is much appreciated.

	[]s
	Ricardo.