Subject: Re: 32-Bit Userland On 64-Bit Machine?
To: Bill Dorsey <dorsey@lila.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/25/2003 01:31:40
Bill Dorsey said:

>Are you sure it's 200MHz?  A friend of mine has Solaris 9 installed on
>his 270MHz Ultra, and I'm pretty sure when we checked the executables
>in userland, they were 32-bit.  Also, Sun's "officially supported"
>version of Linux (Debian) runs all the ultrasparcs with a 32-bit kernel
>and 32-bit userland.

For Solaris it should be 64bit kernel and 32bit userland. On anything above
a Sun Ultra 1, it has defaulted to a 64 bit kernel since Solaris 7. Sun
provides two sets of shared libraries.

>While it may be that running in 64-bit mode is the right way to go down
>the line, until more of the pkgsrc sources I depend on (like cyrus and
>apache-ssl) work in 64-bit big-endian mode, I'm stuck running in 32-bit
>mode.  Given all the compiler warnings I saw scroll by when I was
>trying to get these (and other packages) working in 64-bit mode, it
>looks like it will take quite a bit of work to get them all
>straightened out.

Your app problems will probably be solved once GCC 3.3 is brought in.
GCC 2.95.3 sucks on 64bit sparc, especially for C++.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com