Subject: 32-Bit Userland On 64-Bit Machine?
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org, port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Dorsey <dorsey@lila.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 05/23/2003 10:15:02
Hi,

I've spent the last month trying to upgrade an older 32-bit sparc
machine to a newer 64-bit machine.  It's been a frustrating process.
My main show-stopper has been that some of the pkgsrc software I rely
on (Cyrus, Apache-SSL, etc.) doesn't work when built in 64-bit mode (I
can even see the compiler warnings about casting ints to pointers and
vice versa while some of these packages are being built).

I note that both Solaris and Linux are using special kernels for the
64-bit machines, but they are sticking with 32-bit userlands.  Maybe
this is not always the best thing to do, but it sure seems like it
would solve my problems.  I have a strong preference to continue to use
NetBSD as my operating system, and in fact will give up on the new
hardware before I will switch to Solaris or Linux.

I spent a few hours installing NetBSD/Sparc64 from CD, and then
installing the 32-bit Sparc userland on top of it (basically,
everything except for the kernel from the sparc distribution).  When I
rebooted the machine, I got numerous error messages including "ttys
spawning too fast," and more.  I was under the impression that this
would just work, but if so, then I was clearly missing some important
step.  All of this was with the 1.6.1 release, BTW.  I tried this a
couple of times just to be sure, but the result was the same each time.

So, I am wondering if anyone has had any luck in installing a 32-bit
sparc userland on a 64-bit machine?  If so, I would love to know how
you did it!

--
Bill Dorsey