Subject: Re: [ comparison ] - UltraSPARC IIe vs IIi
To: Matthew Prazak <prazak@isg-scra.org>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel.carnat@noos.fr>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/09/2003 17:21:39
On the last episode (Wed, 9 Apr 2003 11:09:55 -0400), "Matthew Prazak"
<prazak@isg-scra.org> said:
> Matthew Prazak writes:
>  >=20
>  > I would expect that both CPUs are just fine, but that the IIi will
>  > be a stronger CPU, overall.  For example, a 300MHz Ultra 30
>  > workstation(IIi CPU) has SPEC benchmark scores similar to the
>  > 500MHz Sun Blade 100 (IIe CPU) last time I checked.
>  >
>=20
> Oops, I just realized my typo:  The Ultra 30 workstation has an
> UltraSPARC II, not IIi, which further explains its benchmark scores
> (2MB cache vs. 256KB cache must be worth something).
>=20
> Matt

right... so it seems it's a matter of internal cache etc...
this should that any of the II* should be supported...

anyway, thanks for the bit of enlightenment :)

>=20
>  >=20
>  > If your options are the 650MHz IIi vs the 500MHz IIe, then the
>  > 650MHz IIi will be substantially faster with double the cache and
>  > faster clock (Sun marketing materials say 50% better performance,
>  > but I haven't really looked for hard numbers to back this up).
>  >=20
>  > For a decent bit of anecdotal evidence, aceshardware.com runs off a
>  > single 500MHz IIe, if I recall correctly.  For general purpose
>  > workloads, disk I/O is more limiting, anyway.  Just look at the
>  > responsiveness of those multi-GHz P4 systems--they really aren't
>  > that big of a deal unless you do true CPU-bound work.
>  >=20
>  > Disclaimer: I can't answer your question about the NetBSD support,
>  > so get more information before deciding.
>  >=20
>  > Good Luck,
>  > Matt
>  >=20
>  > Joel CARNAT writes:
>  >  > Hi,
>  >  >=20
>  >  > 	I'm planning to buy a SunFire V100 and saw there were two kinda
>  >  > 	proc:
>  >  > http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/System_Board/SYSBD_Sun=
FireV100.html
>  >  >=20
>  >  > 	So here're a few questions :)
>  >  > 	-> Does NetBSD supports both UltraSPARC IIe and IIi ???
>  >  > 	-> According to SUN specs, there are not that different - looks
>  >  > 	a bit
>  >  > like Intel Pentium vs Celeron - is that right ?
>  >  > 	-> Should I absolutely not buy an IIe or are they OK ?
>  >  > 	-> I'm planning to get the N19-UUE1-9S-256EX1
>  >  > (http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/SunFireV100/compo
>  >  > nent.V10 0.html) - any "NOOO, DO NOT BUY THIS ONE !!!" before I
>  >  > fill the check in???
>  >  >=20
>  >  > Thanks for answers,
>  >  > 	Jo
>  >  >=20
>  >=20
>=20

Cordialement,
Joel CARNAT
Exploitation NOOS - Services niveau III
T=E9l : 01 69 19 51 06
Mail : joel.carnat@noos.com
In theory, there is no difference between
theory and practice; in practice, however,
there is.
                               Yogi Berra