Subject: Re: Bootblocks ignore partition for kernel (plus LFS fun)
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Andrey Petrov <petrov@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 04/03/2003 16:00:23
On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 11:13:19PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Andrey Petrov wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 12:07:07PM +0000, abs@mono.org wrote:
> > >
> > > 	At the 'Boot:' prompt given directly after 'boot -sa' it does not
> > > 	appear to matter which partition is given the boot blocks always
> > > 	try to load the kernel from 'a:'.
> > >
> > > 	eg: both of the following try to load a kernel from a:
> > >
> > > 	    Boot: /sbus@1f,0/SUNW,fas@e,8800000/sd@0,0:a/netbsd
> > > 	    Boot: /sbus@1f,0/SUNW,fas@e,8800000/sd@0,0:h/netbsd
> > >

> > I'd try 'boot disk0:h -sa' to see if taht makes any difference, also
> > you can build ofwboot with debugging prints to see what it actually
> > does.
>
> 	No difference (assuming you have run installboot against sd0h).
> 	Will try the debugging printfs.

Huh, 'works for me', I primarily live in netbooted environment so it took some
time to set it, I did (roughtly):

newfs /dev/rsd0f
mount /dev/sd0f /mnt1
pax -pe -rw <fresh built tree> /mnt1
cp netbsd ofwboot /mnt1
installboot -m sparc64 /dev/rsd0f bootblk

Then 'boot disk0:f netbsd' brought it up from that partition, then
'boot disk0:f netbsd -a' first asked me what to boot, i hit <Enter>,
so it booted from sd0f and asked for root,dump and root fs.

	Andrey