Subject: Re: Not use gzip on miniroot.fs?
To: <>
From: leam <leam@reuel.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 03/28/2003 05:54:09
Andrey Petrov wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 04:36:36PM -0500, leam wrote:
>
>>Last week I did an install from a solaris platform to another disk in
>>the same box. One thing that struck me as odd was that miniroot.fs was a
>>tgz file, that is, gzip'd. Until Solaris 9, I don't think gzip came with
>>Solaris, and it is just one more step to work around.
>>
>>Is there any reason to not leave it as non-gzip'd, or use compress? I
>>realize gzip is probably a better compression agent, but we're just
>>adding one more step in the process.
>>

> gzip is 'de-facto' standard utility, and solaris9 is just another prove
> of it. Look on any ftp site - everything is gzipped. If you use
> a machine these days you'll have gzip there. So I doubt there will be
> demand for not-gzipped miniroot.fs.
>
> 	Andrey

gzip is one standard on BSD/Linux boxes. It also shares room with bz2
and Z files. The rest of the install can be gzip'd because the install
is using the miniroot.

However, since the miniroot.fs is likely being installed from a platform
where gzip is *not* the standard, why make the assumption? The machine I
installed from didn't have gzip.

It is not a big issue, but it just looks odd.

ciao!

leam