Subject: Re: Isn't "db>" on boot bad? :P
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org, netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: leam <leam@reuel.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/11/2003 19:48:48
Andrey Petrov wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 05:13:25PM -0500, leam wrote:
>
>>The reason for the "dump/restore" vice the other options is that I'm
>>trying to port a script from Solaris to NetBSD. The original script does
>>an fsck of the to-be-dumped-to partition, mounts it on /mnt, dumps the
>>twin partition from the live disk, and then umounts it.
>>

> Yeah, that seems easier with dump/restore.
> I'd suggest to verify copied partition by comparing it with original one,
> if it fails i'd try -current.
>
> And netbsd's dmesg or solaris's prtconf -pv would be helpful.
>
> 	Andrey

Well, I tried again, and some different results but not the stellar
"login:" I'd hoped for. I re-dumped the "/" partition (the system is
basically idle), redid the bootblk, made sure the disklabels were the
same, and fsck'd the altboot partition.

No luck. Booting either gave the fastdata MMU miss, or hung right after
the autobuild line. I copied the same kernel over, the same ofwboot, and
then even the original "off the 1.6 CD" kernel (which is what hung after
autobuild). I was unable to boot either in -s single user, "/ofwboot
do-boot", or even "boot sd1a:netbsd -s".

I *know* this will work because I'm using the very things I'm booting
off disk0. So the kernel, init, and everything works. It just doesn't
wanna work on disk1.  :)

Any more thoughts?

ciao!

leam