Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6/Sparc as desktop for BSD newbie?
To: rivo nurges <rix@estpak.ee>
From: john heasley <heas@shrubbery.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/05/2003 17:27:52
Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 05:12:50PM +0000, rivo nurges:
> On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 06:01:55PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> > On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, leam wrote:
> > > Well, I'm happily enthused about NetBSD as a server. However, I'm
> > > wondering about converting my U1 desktop at work to it. As an SA for
> > > solaris machines, is NetBSD 1.6/Sparc suitable for a desktop work
> > > environment with X, and all the basics?
> >
> > Assuming that X works on the machine (I don't know which gfx board you
> > have, and which gfx boards NetBSD/sparc64 supports), I'd definitely say
> > that's a nice workstation!
> As far i know NetBSD doesn't support X on sparc64. You can try OpenBSD.

X does "work" on sparc64, for certain definitions of work.  there are
a few refresh (on exposure) problems that are annoying, for which i
bound a to window refresh in twm (hey, don't laugh...twm is small and
fast) and colormap switching causes a BUS error.  otherwise, i have
not noticed any problems.

cgsix0 at sbus0 slot 2 offset 0x0 vector 5 ipl 5: SUNW,501-2325, 1152 x 900, rev
 11 (console)
cgsix0: attached to /dev/fb
cgsix1 at sbus0 slot 3 offset 0x0 vector 5 ipl 5: SUNW,501-2325, 1152 x 900, rev
 11
cgsix1: /dev/fb already full

these are cgsix+, iirc.  i do not know what a gfx card is.