Subject: Re: CDROM drives
To: Christian Smith <csmith@micromuse.com>
From: Antonio Prioglio <a.prioglio@city.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 01/27/2003 00:10:47
On Sun, 26 Jan 2003, Christian Smith wrote:

> >Anything. Doesn't even need to do UDMA of any kind (which the U5/U10 internal
> >(crap) IDE controller doesn't support anyway).
> >
> >So everything doing IDE should just work. [There is no such thing as the
> >different block size apparently used for some Sun SCSI CD-ROM devices]
>
> I'm not even sure that recent revisions of OpenFirmware require the 512
> byte block support for boot. In any case, I've heard that solaris will
> install off a 2048 byte block CD-Rom even on old hardware.

That is not my experience.

E.G. generic ide CDROM do not boot on U5s or AX boards.

IPX,Classic,SS10,SS20,U2,AXi require 512 byte block support.

May be all the machines I've put my hand on are peculiar ...

As for Symbios controllers, again without firmware I can't see how they
can boot. My 53c815 certainly doesn't. But if someone explains me how to
get it working I'll be happy to learn.

--
Regards,
Antonio Prioglio [a.prioglio@cbtcentre.co.uk]