Subject: re: 64bit vs 32-bit kernel
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/20/2002 19:07:11

   > For general use I guess you won't notice differences between 32 and 64bit
   > systems.

   Well, if gcc would realy work on sparc64 this would be true. But actually the
   gcc in our base system now is far better in compiling 32bit sparc code - so
   for non monster VM applications you will see a noticable speed increase when
   running 32bit. That's upto something around 30%.

well, that depends... i've seen 64 bit kernel run 32 bit apps faster
than 32 bit kernel... but i've also seen *everything* be faster
depending on the usage so really it depends on what you're doing and
if you care that much, measure it for your application and see what
is best....