Subject: Re: Sun Sbus Token Ring adapter
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/18/2002 16:27:15
On May 10, 12:46pm, Dave McGuire wrote:
} On Wednesday, December 18, 2002, at 09:48 AM, John Nemeth wrote:
} >      I was wondering if there was any chance of getting support for the
} > Sun Sbus Token Ring adapter?  I've been having a lot of problems
}
}    Is there any token ring protocol support in NetBSD at all?  I think
} that'd be the first obstacle.

     There is support for IBM/3Com ISA/PCMCIA Tropic chipset based
Token Ring cards.  I'm using the IBM ISA card in a PC right now under
NetBSD 1.4.2 and it works great.  I've been looking to upgrade that
box.  But, since I want to switch to a SCSI hard drive and add a SCSI
tape drive for backup, I keep banging up against limitations in the
number of IRQs (SCSI controllers typically want to use IRQ 11 which is
also used by some early VGA cards; IRQ 12 is also a possibility, but
that is used by PS/2 mouse interfaces).  I could fix this by moving to
machines with a PCI bus and convert all my ISA cards to PCI, but NetBSD
doesn't support any PCI Token Rings.  However, with the way that prices
have been plunging on Ultra 1s lately, I can get a Sun cheaper.  It
would probably have the advantage of performing better then sub-200 MHz
PCs as well.  Besides, I like Suns better than PCs, even though I do a
lot of work with PCs.

}-- End of excerpt from Dave McGuire