Subject: Re: Fast instruction MMU miss
To: Tobias Anderberg <tba@softhome.net>
From: Andrey Petrov <petrov@netbsd.org>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/11/2002 15:20:02
On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 09:33:48PM +0100, Tobias Anderberg wrote:
> I just net-installed my old Ultra1 (C3D, 200E). No problems
> there, but when trying to boot I get the following:
>
> (With reservation for some mistyped numbers)
>
> Boot device: disk  File and args:
> NetBSD IEEE 1275 Bootblock
> ..>> NetBSD/sparc64 OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.5
> >> (autobuild@cs20.apochromatic.org, Sun Sep 8 11:34:12 UTC 2002)
> loadfile: reading header
> elf64_exec Booting /sbus@1f,0/SUNW,fas@e,8800000/sd@0,0:a/netbsd
> [.. some hex addresses ..]
> symbols @ 0xfed84300 74+329592+174878 start=0x1000000
> chain: calling OF_chain(80000, e478, 1000000, ffb5a80, 18)
> Fast Instruction Access MMU Miss
> ok
>
> Could someone enlighten me on why this occurs? And most
> importantly how I can overcome it!

There are 3 things involved into a process:
	- bootblk, primary boot loader which resides in block 0 on your disk,
	- ofwboot, secondary boot loader, it's in your boot fs,
	- netbsd kernel.

The easiest way to test netbsd kernel is to netboot it. Take an image
you're trying to boot from disk and boot it from network, if it ends
up with the same MMU Miss then you need another kernel. Make sure(or
reinstall) netbsd's primary boot loader, check installboot(8) and /usr/mdec.
if you took ofwboot from the same distribution then it's unlikely to be
a problem, i think.

	Andrey